Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat believes that using Tasbeeh is perfectly fine and permissible and their is nothing wrong with it as claimed by certain people. Some people say that it is a bidah and some have gone to the extreme of telling others that its kuffr.
They give a DALEEL which relates from Hadhrat Ibn Masood Rdh saw a group of people (jamaat) waiting for fajr salaah and were sitting in Halqas (groups). They had small stones in hands and were doing Dhikr. Hadhrat Ibn Masood Rdh declared that this act is a bidah. (Sunan e Darmi: Hadith No. 210, Darul Mughni KSA Edition)
The chain of this hadith is like this
أَخْبَرَنَا الْحَكَمُ بْنُ الْمُبَارَكِ، أَنبَأَنَا عَمْرُو بْنُ يَحْيَى، قَالَ: سَمِعْتُ أَبِي، يُحَدِّثُ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ قَالَ: كُنَّا نَجْلِسُ عَلَى بَابِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ مَسْعُودٍ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ
(Sunan E Darmi: Page 286, Hadith No 210)
Read closely! It states that Amr Bin Yahiya RH narrates from Al Hakam Ibn Ul Mubarak.
The Scholars have classed him as Daeef and Ibn Abi Yahiya RH has even called him a Kazzab.
Lets look at what the Scholars have said:
1. Imam Ibn Maeen Rh says "He is nothing and i have seen his hadiths"
(Al Kaamil Li Ibn A’adi : Volume 6 : Page 215)
(Mizaan Ul Aitedaal : Volume 5 : Page 232)
Lizaan Ul Mizaan : Volume 6 : Page 232
2. Lais Ibn Abda says that he heard Imam Ibn Maeen RH "I am not happy with him"
(Al Kaamil Li Ibn A'adil: Volume 6: Page 215)
Meaning that i am not happy with what he has narrated
3. Imam Ibn Kharaash RH says "he is not liked"
(Lizaan ul Mizaan: Volume 6: Page 232)
Meaning that he is not a strong narrator from whom one should qoute
At Tazyeel: Page 223, No 600
4. Ahmed Ibn Abi Yahiya Al Anmaati RH says "He is a Kazzab (Liar)
(At Tazyeel: Page 223, No 600)
5. Imam Ibn A'adi says "he doesn't have much narrations"
(Al Kaamil Li Ibn A'adi: Volume 6: Page 215, At Tazyeel: Page 223, No 600)
The Scholars and Ulema consider these words as Jarah (Critcized)
6. Imam Zehbi RH includes him in Al Mughni Fil Zuaafa (the one who are weak) and declares him Daeef
(Al Mughni: Volume 2: Page 76, No 4729)
7. Imam Ibn Qayyim Al Jawzi RH in his book Zuaafa Wal Matrookin has also included him.
(Zuaafa Wal Matrookin: Volume 2: Page 233, No 2601)
Which shows that he is a weak narrator according to Imam Ibn Qayyim RH.
8. Imam Ibn A'adi RH in his book Kaamil Fe Zuaafa Ar-Rijaal has also mentioned him as a weak narrator.
(Al Kaamil: Volume 6: Page 215, No 1287)
9. Imam Zehbi RH in another of his books name Dewaan E Zuaafa Wal Matrookin has mentioned him as weak and Matrook. (Archaic)
(Dewaab e Zuaafa Wal Matrookin: Page 307, No 3229)
10. Imam Taqiuddin Al Maqreezi RH has also mentioned him as a weak narrator
(Mukhtasar Al Kaamil: Reference No 1287, Egypt Edition)
11. Imam Haismi RH has also declared him weak.
(Majmu az Zawaaid: Volume 3: Page 178)
In conclusion this hadith is extremely weak.
Amazingly people who usually seem to mention and quote this hadith are those who claim to only follow Saheeh Hadiths. Sadly they qoute the weak narrations just to argue and make a point of what they themselves think should not be done or is a biddah.
May Allah guide them and all of us towards the right path. Ameen
Talib E Ilm
All 15th Of Shabaan Islamophobia Poems Projects Ramadan Salaah Taraweeh Tasbeeh